Skip to main content

Neon Rain (concluded)

Not really a surprise ending.  One of the (literally) rotten guys turns out to be the main villain.  Dave R. metes out vengeance to the underlings.  His partner is, as partners are often, corrupt--but with a good reason.  The love interest (Annie) just sort of fades into the background.  I thought she was a goner.  I don't like tricky endings, but this was a little bit of a plodder.

Memorable lines:  "I didn't understand then who the Nazis were, but I imagined them as dark-uniformed, slit-eyed creatures who lived beneath the water and who could burn and murder people of goodwill whenever they wished."

Mortality:  "I left the (hospital) room quietly with the sense of both guilt and relief that we feel when we're allowed to walk away from the bedside of someone who reminds us of our mortality.

Life:  Did I pitch the best game I could, even though it was a flawed one, right through the bottom of the ninth.

Louisiana:  A place that never seemed to change, where it was never a treason to go with the cycle of things and let the season have its way.

Things to look up:  Blind Lemon Jefferson, Ronceveaux

Final thoughts:  Burke goes for broke with everything.  Style is flamboyant, with long descriptive passages and with leaps of imagination.  Landscape has life, power.  Characters are equally large. Dave gives and takes blows repeatedly.  Bayous hold dead bodies, alligators, long-suffering hard-working, tied to the land people. Danger lurks. Plot, too.  Corruption in New Orleans and Florida, corruption in Vietnam, racism, violence.  The Annie/Dave love scenes, in such a world, are fraught with extra power and meaning, too.  Love as a way of fighting the flood of evil that threatens to drown everyone and everything.

Robicheaux on his philosophy of life:   "Did I pitch the best game I could, even though it was a flawed one, right through the bottom of the ninth."  It works as a description of Burke's writing as well.  Flawed, but he gives it everything he's got on every single page.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Puppy, Story by George Saunders

PUPPY  Dysfunctional family has puppy that they need to get rid of.  Mom places ad; family is coming over. Description of family.   Mom:  husband changed from long-haired attractive to stooped old man. Husband: talks constantly of living on a farm and doing what needs to be done, though he never lived on a farm.   Conversations together:   Sell and move to Arizona, get hooked on phonics for kids, buying a car wash. . . wonderful randomness. Straight-laced suburbanite comes to look at puppy.  Seems like she will buy it, even though she is repelled by house.  (Dog turds on carpet, filthy.) She is proud of how accepting she is until she looks out window and sees white trash's son tied by harness to a tree.  Reader knows he is a menace to himself, darting across I-90, for example.  Suburban mother beats hasty retreat, leaving dog to be (probably) drowned by dad who does what has to be done.   Suburbanite remembers her own pathetic ch...

Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler

Bryant & May--Peculiar Crimes Unit Mystery, Book 1 Lots that I liked.  Crime novel that is also historical fiction.  Fowler gives insight into London during the blitz.  Danger from street cars, some looting during blackout, stiff upper lip British still going to theaters, etc.  Fowler also takes reader backstage into the workings of a theater.  I learned a lot about the physical complexity of a major theater--production is a tremendous production.  I liked both the main characters.  Bryant, the eccentric loner who thinks out of the box. May, the more traditional "bright" guy, who is able to appreciate Bryant and help by keeping him in the real world, a little. Plot revolves around murders committed while cast rehearses and then performs Offenbach's scandalous version of Orpheus and Eurydice.  The murders are on the gruesome-detail side given the general British coolness of the rest of the text.  Spoiler coming.  The denouement wa...

Napoleon to page 135

Ability to compartmentalize:  sections of life like cupboard drawers, he pulls them open when that's what he's involved in, shuts them when he moves on.  Sleep = closing all the drawers. Warmonger?  War was declared on him far more often than he declared it on others. Poor reputation today is partially based on Hitler's admiration of Napoleon and the fact that both were involved in disastrous Russian campaigns.  Comparison not apt. N. as great reader with particular interest in Roman/Greek (war) history Native language is Corsican. Always spoke French with heavy accent. Learned French at 10, but his education in France made him FRENCH through and through. Corsica was basically a protectorate of France. Nickname is "Straw up the nose."  Clearly intellectually superior at school. Never a true Christian as he never believed that Jesus was God Believer in Roman equality before the law; not so much for freedom of press, parliamentarianism, human rights. ...